Independent in Indy

Sunday, May 08, 2005

Stereotypes Be Gone

The cashier at the local store was asking me about my day and as soon as I started talking he wanted to know where I was from. When I confessed to being from Alabama, he mentioned he had a friend that lived in Alabama who he teased about being a hilljack.

I explained I didn’t know what a hilljack was and he informed me it was the same thing as a hillbilly or redneck.

He then proceeded to ask me which word did I identify most with – hillbilly, hilljack or redneck.

“Why would you assume I identify with any of those terms”, I asked.

He politely answered, “Well because you’re from Alabama.”

Now I felt my face get hot but decided to play it cool and explain to him my feelings about his poor assumption.

“Where you are from does not determine what you are. Deciding that I am a redneck, hillbilly or hilljack because I am from Alabama is a total stereotype. I have met rednecks all over including right here in Indianapolis.”

“So you aren’t going to answer which one you are”, he pressed on.

I just smiled and said, “If you must know I am a Southern Belle. And it is only because I am a Southern Belle that I haven’t called you ignorant. Have a nice afternoon.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home