Independent in Indy

Thursday, March 24, 2005

A Bunny for a Day

I agreed to be the Easter Bunny expecting that wearing the bunny suit would be two things:

1. Hot, very hot – I cannot recall a time in my life when I felt like my whole body was on fire except in this suit. I bet I lost ten pounds just in sweat. Note to self – ask for a suit with ventilation in the head next year.

2. Rewarding - My first “performance” as the Easter Bunny was visiting local Clients. I caused quite a stir in the lobby of Farm Bureau Insurance as I sat on their leather sofas waiting to surprise a few potential clients complete with my furry suit and pink tennis shoes. People giggled, took pictures, waived, asked for candy and smiled a lot. It felt great to brighten people’s day.

My second and third “performances” as the Easter Bunny were at local nursing facilities. As expected the children that were visiting were really glad to see me and most of them were eager to have their picture made. But nothing touched me as much as watching the eyes of Residents light up.

Though as an aging adult, majority of them had lost a great deal of functioning from loss of hearing to loss of memory, they were so happy to spend a few minutes with me. Many of them hugged my neck and giggled out loud. I quickly began to forget how hot I was and became humbled that I had the opportunity to bring joy to their night.

I heard it said by lots of people yesterday that they would never dress up in a bunny suit. But if only their heart could feel as full as mine when I got home last night…there would be a waiting list for bunny volunteers.

Count me in as a bunny in 2006 and Happy Easter!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home