Independent in Indy

Thursday, November 11, 2004

Acknowledge A Job Well Done

Our Management Team was debating where we would have lunch. Cheese biscuits from Red Lobster sounded especially enticing but we were hesitant due to two specific experiences with really poor Customer service. The call of the cheese biscuits won out as we agreed to give the restaurant one more chance.

We were pleasantly surprised at how great the Customer service was and agreed we should tell somebody. I first shared my praise with the waitress. I thanked her for changing our negative view of Red Lobster. She lit up as she explained that she is still training and how great this made her feel.

I then ask to speak to her manager.

You should have seen the look of terror on his face as he approached our table. I explained our past experiences with him and bragged about our new perspective thanks to excellent Customer Service by this particular waitress. He thanked her in our presence and added he hoped we would come again.

Before he walked away I just had to ask about the disturbing look he had when walking towards our table. He admitted he was expecting the worst. “Customers only complain they never tell you what you are doing right.”

Ouch! That made me sad but I knew what he was saying was probably true. We are often more than willing to return our food, complain to the manager or refuse to pay for a service we aren’t happy with. But how often do we tell someone when they exceed our expectations.

And I know before you even say it. “But Holly why should we thank them for doing their job.” Simple - there is a difference between doing a job and doing a job really well.

I encourage you to tell someone the next time you receive excellent Customer service. After all, who doesn’t like hearing they are doing a great job?

0 Comments:

<< Home