Independent in Indy

Sunday, October 31, 2004

Halloween

I had the pleasure of spending Halloween with my 4 year old niece, Mary Stewart and my seven year old nephew, Daniel. They dressed as Tinkerbell and PeterPan. I thought it would be fun to dress as Captain Hook.

When Saturday night arrived I found myself excited to get dressed up and enjoyed helping the kids. Pumpkins were grabbed and we were off to greet the neighborhood.

Door to door I giggled as Mary Stewart and Daniel raced to see who could ring the doorbell first. We would all chime in Trick or Treat and the neighbors seemed impressed by our costumes. I was even offered candy at several houses for my costume as well.

As the night wore on their pumpkins became more and more full. Their steps were less quick and they admitted to being tired. We had been to most houses in the neighborhood.

When the trick or treating looked to be coming to an end, the kids got a new burst of energy and asked for just one more house. As we headed home the trading of candy quickly began. I was bargaining for a few pieces of candy myself.

And I started to realize all that was gained by trick or treating with them.

I did all the adult stuff by reminding them to be gracious (which I have to brag about their sweet manners) and to keep off the grass. But by losing my inhibitions, allowing myself to paint on that fake mustache, burning up in my costume and laughing all the while, I also felt like one of them.

The one gift I was able to give Daniel and Mary Stewart was to be totally present with an evening that was important to them. The one gift I was able to give myself was the chance to be a kid again. And what we all gained were memories (and cute pictures) to last a lifetime.