Independent in Indy

Saturday, October 09, 2004

Harvest

On my drive back from Vincennes, Indiana I couldn’t help but notice all the tractors in the fields. It was time for Harvest and I was actually sad not to be on a farm right now.

Four years ago I moved to rural Illinois and experienced the farm life for the first time. My first tractor ride involved spreading turkey manure and I was wearing high heels. I was not at all prepared for this kind of lifestyle and to say I didn’t immediately love the farm was an understatement. But the more I learned, the more I appreciated the hard work involved in farming.

And I began to look forward to harvest.

The combine was my favorite tractor and what was used to harvest. I used to joke that the snouts on the combine reminded me of giant green crayons. And I was always amazed at how the machine pulled up the whole stalk but knew to keep only the corn kernels. The yield monitor inside the combine just fed into my competitive spirit. There were times I would actually cheer it on to move the yield numbers up. And the best late night naps were spent sitting on the floorboard of the combine with my head in the buddy seat. The natural hum of the machine put me to sleep in no time and I often didn’t awake until the machine shut off.

I no longer live in rural Illinois. And I am no longer a part of the farm I grew to love. But given the opportunity – I would hop on a tractor in a heartbeat, high heels and all.