Independent in Indy

Sunday, November 21, 2004

Family Tradition

I grew up on the University of Alabama and SEC college football. Saturday was game day and the television was only turned to check out games on different stations. Everybody in the family had a role to play.

Mom always made some kind of vegetable tray and oftentimes nacho dip. Dad was keeping the rocking chair warm while sipping a cold beer. Dad's best friend, Wayne spent many a Saturday watching with us. And my brother John was quoting National Championship and Bear Bryant statistics to quiz us on later. I was the cheerleader.

Now that I live away from home I miss football Saturdays at my parents.

I usually call my dad either Saturday night or Sunday to discuss all the games. If Alabama won, a Roll Tide always slips out. The next time I talk with my brother, football always comes up. And now that John has taken an interest in Pro Football we can talk about the Colts. Mom and I choose to discuss more girlie things but if I call during an Alabama game I can hear her cheers in the background.

Football, for me, will always be a family tradition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home