Independent in Indy

Monday, March 06, 2006

An Oscar Speech to Remember

I confess to being an Oscar junkie. I love to see what the stars are wearing on the red carpet. I also enjoy hearing the acceptance speeches when an Oscar is given. Majority of celebrities are very gracious when they win.

But I always have my ears open for the one acceptance speech that helps me connect with the actor, the one speech that makes a celebrity seem more “real.” Reese Witherspoon made my Oscar wish come true when she accepted her award for Best Actress.

Reese quoted the character she played in Walk the Line, June Carter, in her speech. “Whenever people would ask June how she was doing she would say, I’m just trying to matter. And I know what she means you know. I am just trying to matter and live a good life and do work that matters to somebody.”

Although we are not celebrities, we can still choose to live a life that matters.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:27 AM, Blogger Kevin Eikenberry said…

    Holly - This is a great post. Thanks for sharing it. I added a couple more thoughts on my blog at: http://www.kevineikenberry.com/blogs/2006/03/trying-to-matter.asp.

    Thanks again for sharing!

    Kevin :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home