Independent in Indy

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Redneck Woman

I love Gretchen Wilson’s big hit song, Redneck Woman and this seems to confuse lots of my friends and family. They have made comments that very few of the lyrics remind them of the woman that I am. What they don’t understand is the real reason I love this song.

Gretchen Wilson grew up poor and only had an eight grade education. Her father left the family when she was still in diapers. She was living on her own by the time she was fifteen and began bartending. By most people’s account, her future would be limited.

But Gretchen continued to dream big. Her passion was singing country music. And she would sing at the local bar she was tending whenever she had the chance. She wanted to make it in Nashville and wasn’t giving up.

Her hit single, Redneck Woman, rocketed to the No. 1 spot on the country Billboard charts and radio charts, marking it the fastest rising artist's debut single in over a decade.

Pretty impressive for a bartender with a big dream isn’t it?

That is the reason I love this song – it reminds me to dream big no matter what hand life deals me. When my girlfriends and I attend her concert in August, I’ll be wearing my cowboy hat and singing at the top of my lungs not because I am a redneck woman but because I have big dreams too!

1 Comments:

  • At 5:46 PM, Blogger armybrat224th said…

    hello-

    I was searching the company you work for IDE Management Group and came across your blog. I have emailed Mark Walker two weeks ago and called the phone number posted on the job website a week ago with no call back. I have been able to find limited info about IDE online could you point me in the right way? I also was trying to find out what the name of the facility in Newton, IA was before IDE took it over. So I could do a little home work before submitting my resume. Would you know who I could contact to gain this information?

    Thanks so much
    Aimee

     

Post a Comment

<< Home