Independent in Indy

Sunday, July 17, 2005

A Bike Ride with My Daddy

Everytime I go back home, I always say I am going to make a trip to Three Oaks Winery. They have the best sweet wine I have ever tasted and it gives me an excuse to head to Florida. I mentioned to my daddy how much fun it would be to take the motorcyle and of course he was excited (any chance to ride his Harley does that). My momma looked a little worried because it was not a quick trip but we promised to call when we got there.

It was a perfect day to be on the bike. The sun was shining and the sky was clear. It was just me, daddy and the open road.

We arrived at the winery and the owner inquired about our visit. When I mentioned I was only in town for the week and my daddy agreed to ride me on his bike to get a case of wine, her eyes lit up.

She reminded me that special times for daughters and their dads are limited once we become women and for me to cherish the time I have with him. With tears in her eyes, she talked about all the memories she has of her daddy, who is no longer living.

As we climbed back on the bike, I couldn't help but take in what all she had said. And my ride back home was filled with memories I had made with my daddy. My daddy has always been my personal security blanket. With him, I have always felt safe. All it takes is his presence for me to know everything will be okay. And although I can't fit in his lap and rock like we used to, that doesn't mean that little girl in me doesn't wish I still could.

Any chance I get to hop on his Harley with him, I will. Because I know it is a chance for me to make new memories with the first man I ever loved - my daddy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home