Independent in Indy

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

What If?

Sitting in the ICU waiting room in Nashville today feels surreal. I feel so lucky to see Katie smiling, talking to me and I know she is going to be okay. And while I should be rejoicing that she made it through a very scary night in surgery and ICU, I have a knot in my stomach that won’t go away…the “what-ifs” keep playing in my mind.

And I know we aren’t supposed to do that but I couldn’t help but wonder things like does she know how important she is to me? Have I told her enough how much I value her friendship, advice and support. Did I tell her recently that laughing with her can cheer up even my worst day? Does she know that I admire her artistic talent? When was the last time I told her I loved her?

As cliché as this may sound – I realize time is precious and time is wasting. And it shouldn’t have taken this scare for me to think about all the things I should have said to her recently.

We are all guilty of this, believing we have all the time in the world. Or maybe we just get too busy. Or we feel silly expressing our feelings. Or we assume those we care about already know.

Tomorrow is not promised so we must be present in today. Go make that phone call, send that email, write a note or drop by for a visit to all of those you love and care about…go to sleep without the worries of “what-ifs.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home