Independent in Indy

Monday, March 06, 2006

An Inspiration in Pink

She blew into the salon like a breath of fresh air. Her smile was bright. Her hair and make-up were flawless. She wore tight fittin’ jeans that would turn men’s head. High heel boots only made the spring in her step more visible. And she was wearing the most gorgeous pink sweater.

Rose, my hair stylist, excused herself to hug her neck and take the load of pink sweaters from her arms. They laughed and giggled about various things and off the lady in pink went.

When Rose came back I asked to see one of the pink sweaters that she was holding. As soon as I felt the sweater, I knew I had to have one. The material felt like a soft, warm robe that you would want to bundle up in every chance you got.

Rose explained she was selling more than just a pink sweater. The proceeds from all the sweaters go to the Sharon L Bassett fund, a breast cancer foundation. Rose had lost her own mother to breast cancer and I wasn’t surprised she was willing to support this special foundation.

What shocked me was the story behind the Sharon L Bassett fund. The lady in pink, the one I thought was the breath of fresh air, had breast cancer. She looked like she had life by the strings yet still was undergoing treatment for breast cancer.

But Rose explained she was a survivor. She had chosen to fight and make a difference with the discouraging hand life had dealt her.

The Sharon L Bassett fund helps provide transportation to breast cancer treatments for low-income women. And Sharon herself was one of the women providing the transportation. She was sharing her struggle and fight with women who were dealing with the same battle. And she did this with a huge smile on her face that made you believe life was good.

I sat through the rest of my hair appointment thinking about Sharon and how her choice to make a difference has influenced and inspired so many.

Of course I left the salon with a soft, beautiful pink sweater. But I also left with the reminder that one person can make a difference. And every time I see that pink sweater in my closet or wear it, it humbles me that I am blessed with so much and it reminds me to find ways to help other people.

I challenge you to find ways to help others regardless of your situation.

The opportunities to give are unlimited:

• A warm embrace

• A prayer

• A listening ear

• A donation to a local charity

• A hand-written note

• Your time

• Volunteering at your local shelter

And I hope you receive your own pink sweater, a special something to remind you that you can indeed make a difference!

p.s. To learn more about Sharon L Bassett’s foundation, visit www.pusmcf.com/subhtml/sharon_bassett_fund.asp

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home